CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 14, 2008

to nap or not to nap

Oh, poor neglected blog. I have failed to update you much lately.

It's Thursday and I'm at home. Whoohoo! My son has decided to take a nap today, so I am without excuse. It's his first nap all week by the way. Yep, one of those weeks.

So, those of you with children of the age of nap-dropping.... I beckon you. What should I do with my child during the former nap time??

Here's the current scenario: I put him down. He's exhausted and whiny. I come downstairs and pray hard for the blessing of the nap. IF he naps, all is well and he is a pleasant creature that evening. Me too. :)

IF he decides not to nap (the new norm), he is required to stay in his room for an hour and rest/play quietly. After about an hour he opens his door repeatedly and says, "but mommy, I'm just awake" until I allow him out. At which point he comes downstairs and lays on the couch like a zombie. Usually requesting (aka whining for) a movie, and then eventually settles in with his hot wheels. And here's the dilemma -- He's usually still too tired and irritable to really play much, do crafts, run errands, etc.

What in the world do I do with this child? I have started waking him up a little earlier in the morning (7:30), and I usually have really physical activities planned for the morning before naptime. I even took him to this giant inflatible place this week, where he ran, climbed, and jumped til his little legs could hold him no more. And yet, he willed himself awake during naptime.

Oh, bloggy world. Thanks for letting me vent. You are so cathartic! :)

Have to go now... he's awake & calling for me. ah...

0 comments: